Utah Food Bank 2019
BMW of Murray & the Firmage Group Automotive Support the Utah Food Bank!
From left to right: John Firmage (Owner, Firmage Group Automotive) Ginette Bott (CEO, Utah Food Bank) Vicki Bennion (Owner, Firmage Group Automotive)
This past November/December, our employees donated $3,750 out of their own paychecks and the Firmage Group matched it, bringing the total donation to $7,500. With the Utah Food Bank’s great buying power, this equates to over $55,000 of food. This is almost double what we raised last year, and we could not be prouder of our employees for participating.
We chose to support the Utah Food Bank because they are a unique organization; they are one of the only food pantries in the country that offer food distribution for free!
We toured the 86,000 square foot facilities at the Salt Lake location (there’s also a St. George location). This is what we learned:
- The Utah Food Bank prepares 2,000 meals every day in their on-site kitchen every day for after-school programs on the Wasatch front.
- The Utah Food Bank has a mobile food truck that visits over 85 schools each month, offering any kids as much food as they can carry.
- Utah Food Bank’s warehouse fills and empties every 2-3 weeks.
- The Utah Food Bank has great buying power. For every dollar, they are able to purchase $7.34 worth of food! They buy most of their food in large quantities, so it’s a lot of the same types of canned food. Even though food drives like ours only account for 4% of the Utah Food Bank’s food supply, they bring in variety which is appreciated.
- The Utah Food Bank is also unique in that only 4% of their budget goes to administrative costs. This is possible thanks to all of the volunteers who make it possible to run the Utah Food Bank
In the past 2 years we have raised almost $12,000 (with buying power, about $85,000) for the Utah Food Bank! We look forward to partnering with the Utah Food Bank this coming year to help end hunger.